- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 31 Times
Pollo al Limone
- 2 2 ½- to 3-pound broiling chickens, halved
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
For the Lemon Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. To attain maximum heat, preheat broiler for at least 15 minutes before using.
2. Make the Lemon Sauce: Whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrig-
erate until ready to use. Whisk or shake vigorously before using.
3. Broil chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes or until skin is golden-brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork.
4. Remove chicken from broiler, leaving broiler on. Using a very sharp knife, cut each half into about 6 pieces (leg, thigh, wing, 3 small breast pieces).
5. Place chicken on a baking sheet with sides, of a size that can fit into the broiler. Pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken and toss to coat well. If necessary, divide sauce in half and do this in two batches.
6. Return to broiler and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece and broil for an additional minute.
7. Remove from broiler and portion each chicken onto each of 6 warm serving plates.
8. Pour sauce into a heavy saucepan. Stir in parsley and place over high heat for 1 minute. Pour an equal amount of sauce over each chicken and serve with lots of crusty bread to absorb the sauce.
© 1998 by Frank Pellegrino
Nutritional information is based on using two, 2.5lb broiling chickens and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.