- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 141 Times
Whole grain quinoa makes a tasty and healthy summer salad. Be sure to rinse it well in a fine sieve before cooking.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz (55g) feta cheese
- ½ cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
1. Rinse the quinoa well in a fine mesh sieve. Drain and place it in a medium heavy-bottomed pan. Stir constantly over a medium heat about 3 minutes, until the grains separate and begin to brown.
2. Add 2¼ cups water and ½ tsp salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Add the cucumber, onion, parsley, and mint to the quinoa. Whisk together the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over the quinoa and mix.
4. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and olives. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox