- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 27 Times
Quesadillas may have already overtaken the grilled cheese sandwich in popularity. These are served with a chunky salsa.
For the salsa:
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh hot green chile, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- Guacamole, to serve
1. To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Season with the salt. Set aside for about 1 hour to blend the flavors.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and heat for 30 seconds. Flip over and sprinkle ¼ cup of the cheese over the surface. Fold in half and press down lightly with a spatula.
3. Cook, turning once, until the quesadilla is lightly toasted on both sides and the cheese has melted. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while making the remaining quesadillas.
4. To serve, cut each quesadilla in half and serve immediately with the Salsa Mexicana and guacamole.
BBQ Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas: Toss 1 cup shredded cooked chicken with 2 tbsp barbecue sauce, and mix in 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese instead of Cheddar. Serve with sour cream instead of guacamole.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/2 teaspoon salt for the salsa and does not include the guacamole for serving.