- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Challenging
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 6 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
A fabulous combination of fruit and nuts.
1. Pulse the flour and sugar in a food processor to combine; add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the yolk, then pulse just until the pastry begins to clump together. Roll out on a floured surface into a 1/8 in (3mm) thick round. Line the tart pan with the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the plums in a saucepan with water to barely cover, and add the brandy. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, or until the plums are plumped. Let cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line the tart pan with wax paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the pastry looks set. Remove the paper and beans, then bake for 10 minutes more, or until the pastry is browned. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool.
4. Process ½ cup of the almonds and the sugar until finely ground. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
5. Drain the prunes. Pour the almond cream into the cooled pastry and arrange the prunes on top. Sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
6. Bake 30 mins in a 350°F (180°C) oven, or until the filling is set and golden brown. Cool, remove the sides of the pan, slice, and serve.