Potato, Leek and Ham Soup
Serves4 to 5
Total Timeunder 2 hours
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, game day
Recipe Coursehot appetizer
Dietary Considerationhot appetizer
Taste and Texturecreamy, salty, smoky
Type of Dishhot soup
- 4 cups milk
- 1 ham bone or ham knuckle with ham
- 3 cups diced potatoes (use a combination of Idaho, Maine, and new-red potatoes)
- ¼ pound butter or 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 4 leeks-washed, spit, and the white part cut into 2-inch julienne
- 1 cup chopped celery and celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed, crushed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour mixed with 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
In a stockpot, simmer the milk with the ham bone and potatoes for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauté pan or skillet over moderate heat. Add the leeks and cook until wilted.
Add the leeks to milk mixture. Add the celery and mustard seed to the soup and cook for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk in the flour and butter.
Remove the ham bone and flake off the ham. Fold it into the soup and stir. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flour is completely dissolved.