- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 98 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This baked potato dish is rich with cream and fragrant with garlic and nutmeg
The potatoes can be peeled, sliced, and stored in water to cover for several hours.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 2qt (2 liter) shallow baking dish.
2. Peel the potatoes. Using a mandoline, a food processor fitted with a fine slicing blade, or a large knife, slice the potatoes into rounds about 1/8 in (3mm) thick. Rinse the slices in cold water. Drain and pat dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
3. Place the potatoes in layers in the baking dish, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
4. Bring the cream, garlic, and nutmeg to a boil in a saucepan. Pour the cream over the potatoes. Dot the top with the butter.
5. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake about 1¼ hours, or until the potatoes are just tender. Remove the foil. Increase the oven temperature to 450°F (250°C) and bake until the top is golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Good with salad for supper, or as a side dish to smoked fish or broiled or roasted meats.
Potato and Cheese Gratin
Add 2 finely chopped anchovies to the cream at step 4. Sprinkle 1 cup shredded Gruyére cheese, between the potato layers, saving a little for sprinkling on the top.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.