- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: A Day Or More
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 79 Times
- ¾ pound Désirée or any all-purpose potatoes, peeled
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 heaped teaspoon flour
- 1 large knob of butter
- 2 eggs, preferably free-range or organic
- 3 slices of good-quality smoked salmon
- 2 heaped teaspoons sour cream
- A bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
Boil the potatoes in salted water until just cooked. Drain well and, when cool enough to handle, grate on the coarse side of a cheese grater into a mixing bowl. Add the spring onions, seasoning, flour and half the butter and mix well. Divide into 4 equal balls and pat into flat rounds. Leave covered in the fridge overnight if you can.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and add the rest of the butter. Gently fry the potato cakes, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until light brown and heated through. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, soft boil the eggs for 4 minutes – this recipe works best with runny yolks. Arrange a couple of potato cakes on each plate and top with smoked salmon. Shell the eggs and place on top. Spoon sour cream over the eggs and sprinkle over the chives. Season well.
© 2014 Jamie Oliver
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, 2 1/4 oz of smoked salmon, and 1 tablespoon of butter.