- Course: Hot Appetizer, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
Combine oyster mushrooms with the creminis, if you wish.
Good with a green salad.
- 3 baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz (225g) cremini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to garnish
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche, to serve
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water and cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, until just tender. Drain, cool, and peel. Shred the potatoes into a bowl.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add the potatoes, eggs, flour, and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, add about ¼ cup of the potato mixture for each pancake, and flatten with a spatula. Cook, turning once, about 7 minutes, until golden. Keep warm in the oven while making the remaining pancakes.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the thyme and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the pancakes, topped with the mushrooms, Parmesan shavings, and a dollop of créme fraîche.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include Parmesan shavings, to garnish.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox