- Course: Hot Appetizer, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
Combine oyster mushrooms with the creminis, if you wish.
Good with a green salad.
- 3 baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz (225g) cremini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to garnish
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche, to serve
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water and cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, until just tender. Drain, cool, and peel. Shred the potatoes into a bowl.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add the potatoes, eggs, flour, and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, add about ¼ cup of the potato mixture for each pancake, and flatten with a spatula. Cook, turning once, about 7 minutes, until golden. Keep warm in the oven while making the remaining pancakes.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the thyme and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the pancakes, topped with the mushrooms, Parmesan shavings, and a dollop of créme fraîche.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include Parmesan shavings, to garnish.