These soft, mild peppercorns add a gentle spice to the creamy sauce. Good with hashed brown potatoes and freshly steamed green vegetables.
- 4 center cut pork loin chops
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp green peppercorns in brine, rinsed, drained, and lightly crushed
- ¼ cup créme fraîche or heavy cream
1. Trim the chops of excess fat and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan on medium heat. Add the pork chops and cook for 6–8 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, until golden brown and the juices run clear. Transfer to a warm plate and cover with foil.
2. To make the sauce, melt the butter in the pan. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Add the sherry, and cook for 1 minute, stirring up the browned bits in the pan. Add the stock and peppercorns and cook about 2 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
3. Stir in the creme fraiche. Spoon the sauce over the chops and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.