- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 6 Times
Polenta con Vongole
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta or fine cornmeal
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into ¼-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 20 littleneck or manila clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup finely chopped italian parsley
1. Bring the water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Add the polenta in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the polenta is as thick as porridge, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover the pan tightly with a lid or plastic wrap to keep the polenta warm.
2. In a 12-inch sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the clams and wine, cover, bring to a boil, and cook until all the clams have opened.
3. Add the parsley and cook, stirring, for about 20 seconds.
4. Divide the polenta among four plates and spoon five clams over each puddle of polenta. Spoon the cooking juices over the clams and serve immediately.
© 2005 Mario Batali
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox