A mild-tasting but very enjoyable fruit relish that is particularly good with cold meats and cheeses.
- 3 lb (1.35kg) plums, pitted and cut into quarters
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1¾ cups packed light brown sugar
- Large non-aluminum pot
- Canning glass jars with 2-piece lids
1. Combine all of the ingredients into a large non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring almost constantly to dissolve the sugar.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring often, or until the chutney is soft and thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
3. While the chutney is simmering, wash the jars well and sterilize them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes or in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 minutes.
4. Using tongs or oven mitts, transfer the jars to a baking sheet. Carefully fill the hot jars with the hot chutney.
5. Cover with the lids and screw on the rings. Let stand to cool completely.
6. Wipe the jars clean. Label, date, and store in a cool dark place, ideally for a few weeks, before opening.
Nutritional information is based on 40 servings.