Similar to ratatouille but with a touch of vinegar to heighten the flavors, this Spanish dish goes well with grilled chorizo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, skinned, quartered, and seeded
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
Prepare ahead: The pisto manchego can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before serving. Reheat or serve at room temperature.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the peppers and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the peppers soften. Add the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a warm serving bowl, and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.