- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Hors D'oeuvre, Tapas/Small Plates
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 77 Times
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 bunches of fresh basil, leaves picked
- 4 ounces pine nuts, lightly toasted and cooled
- 4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 large ciabatta, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Extra virgin olive oil, blended with a tiny squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground back pepper
Put half the garlic into a pestle and mortar or a food processor. Add a bit more garlic if you like, but I tend to stick to about half a clove. Pound or pulse this with the fresh basil leaves and the pine nuts to a fine purée. Turn out into a bowl and add the Parmesan. Gently stir in and add a little olive oil until smooth and spreadable. If you want, add more Parmesan to adjust the taste.
Grill or toast the slices of bread, rub with the remaining halved clove of garlic, then drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Spoon over the pesto and season well to taste.
© 2016 Jamie Oliver
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox