- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 1 Time
Pumpkin pie gets a lift when served with this gelato made from fresh persimmons, an exotic fall fruit.
- 3 fresh persimmons, peeled (see Notes)
- 1 cup (250 mL) Simple Syrup
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
1. In a food processor or blender, purée persimmons with syrup until smooth. Transfer to a clean bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whip cream. Fold into persimmon mixture. Stir in orange zest. Cover and refrigerate until completely cold or overnight.
3. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
The national fruit of Japan also has a North American history, in that Native Americans taught European settlers how to use the fruit in breads and puddings. Persimmons are ready to eat when they are ultra-soft. Just break the skin and spoon out the delicious flesh.
© 2008 Marilyn Linton and Tanya Linton
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, but does not include Simple Syrup. For nutritional information on Simple Syrup, please follow the link above.