- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: A Day Or More
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 13 Times
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 1/4 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
- 1/2 cup dried fava beans, soaked overnight in water to cover, or 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 3 yellow onions
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup dried lentils
- 14 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 large handful fresh mint leaves, torn into pieces
- 6 ounces thin egg noodles or linguine, broken into thirds
- 1 bunch leafy greens, stemmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 cups plain yogurt
Dice 1 of the onions. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, kidney beans, and fava beans, and add them to the onion along with 4 of the minced cloves of garlic, the turmeric, and lentils. Sauté for 1 minute, then add the stock and bring to a boil. Boil the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Tilt the lid so the pot is partially covered and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt.
Slice the remaining 2 onions into thin half moons. Heat a sauté pan over high heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and fry, stirring frequently, until the onions are brown and caramelized. Add the remaining garlic and the mint and sauté for 1 minute. Season with salt and set aside.
Add the noodles to the soup and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. When the noodles are almost done, add the leafy greens and the fresh herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
Serve with a large dollop of yogurt and a few tablespoons of the sautéed onion mixture.
© 2009 Louisa Shafia
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox