- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
So many feel that angel food is hard to make, but it really is a simple cake. Try it when you have extra egg whites. This really is a perfect nonfat dessert when paired with fresh berries.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
1. Make sure all tools, including tube pan, mixer and whip attachment, are free of any oil, very clean and dry. If any traces of oil are on any of your tools, your cake will not work.
2. Sift cake flour together with ¾ cup (175 mL) of the granulated sugar. Set aside.
3. In a mixer bowl fitted with whip attachment, whip egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, almond extract and salt on high speed until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. With mixer running, gradually sprinkle in remaining sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in flour mixture just until incorporated.
4. Pour batter into pan, smoothing top and gently removing any large bubbles. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and top springs back when lightly touched, 40 to 45 minutes. Invert pan, balancing on tube, and let cake cool completely. The cake should fall out of pan when cool. If it needs a little help, run a rubber spatula around the sides of pan to loosen.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox