Tonnato is the Italian word for tuna and this sauce is inspired by the classic Italian dish, vitello tonnato, which is thinly sliced veal served cold with a delicately flavored tuna sauce and garnished with capers.
- 1 can (6½ ounces) imported tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained, blotted, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces penne or other tubular pasta
- ½ cup diced (¼ inch) red onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, rinsed and stemmed
- ¼ cup small brine-cured black olives
1. Puree the tuna, mayonnaise, anchovies, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, or firm to the bite, about 10 minutes; drain.
3. Toss the tuna sauce, pasta, onion, celery, parsley, and capers together; spoon into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle the top with tomatoes and black olives.