- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 103 Times
Almost any spring vegetable can be used--for a change, try peas or diced zucchini. Good with hot crusty garlic rolls.
- 1 lb (450g) penne
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups asparagus tips
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 2 large carrots, cut into julienne
- 2 tbsp chopped basil or oregano
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the penne in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, according to the package instructions, until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and asparagus for 4 minutes. Add the snow peas and carrots and steam about 3 minutes more, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from the heat.
3. Whisk the vinegar, mustard, and garlic in a large bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil. Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl. Toss in the vegetables and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Creamy Pasta Primavera: In place of the vinaigrette, add 2/3 cup créme fraîche and 1 tsp whole-grain mustard to the vegetables and pasta. Thin with a little of the pasta cooking water if necessary.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox