- Course: Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 15 Times
While this dish may be best with tender fresh peas, it is a fine way to dress up frozen baby peas
- 9 oz (250g) pearl onions
- 3 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2½ cups shelled fresh peas or thawed frozen baby peas
- ½ cup ham or chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint or parsley
- 1 butter lettuce, outer leaves reserved for another use, shredded
Step 1 can be completed several hours ahead. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Put the onions in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand a few minutes. Drain, peel, and trim the onions, keeping the root end intact.
2. Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, cover, and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the peas and stock and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam, then add the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 5–8 minutes or until the peas are tender.
4. Mash the remaining butter and flour together to make a smooth paste. A little at a time, stir the butter mixture into the peas, to thicken the sauce. Stir in the shredded lettuce and mint. Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
Good with hot or cold ham dishes. It also makes a lovely accompaniment for roast or grilled lamb.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox