Published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang
This has a very fine textured topping which absorbs the delicious juices from the pears, citrus zest, and nutmeg.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Cooking for a date
Taste and Texturenutty, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishdessert, fruit
- 8 ripe Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat powdered milk
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 1/3 cups whole-grain flour
- ½ cup soft dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2 Combine the pears with the zest, sugar, nutmeg, and ½ cup water in the bottom of a large baking dish.
3 Mix the dry ingredients together, then rub in the butter.
4 Sprinkle this mixture on top of the pears and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is golden. Serve warm with low-sugar custard.
Anthony Worrall Thompson