Peachy Plum Hazelnut Galette
Simpler than pie but with all the same homemade goodness, this galette makes excellent use of an abundance of summer fruits.
The jelly spreads more evenly when microwaved on High for 20 seconds.
Serves8 to 12
Total Timeunder 4 hours
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Cooking for a date, Family Get-together
Mealbrunch, dinner, tea
Taste and Texturebuttery, fruity, nutty, sweet, tart
Type of Dishdessert, pie, tart
- Hazelnut Pastry
- 3 cups ( 750 mL) peeled, sliced peaches, about 5 medium
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced red or purple plums, about 4 large
- ¼ cup (50 mL) hazelnut flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grape or red currant jelly (see Notes)
- Large baking sheet, generously dusted with sweet rice flour
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Place the chilled Hazelnut Pastry disk in the center of prepared pan. Cover with waxed paper and roll out to a 12-inch (30 cm) circle.
In a large bowl, lightly toss together peaches, plums, hazelnut flour, ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
Carefully remove the waxed paper. Place the fruit mixture on pastry to within 2 inches (5 cm) of the edge. Dot with butter and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Carefully fold the pastry up over the filling to form a ragged edge, leaving fruit exposed in the center. Sprinkle pastry with 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until fruit is tender and pastry is lightly browned. Brush with jelly.
Variation: Prepare the pastry with almond flour and sprinkle the prepared galette with sliced almonds. Almonds toast as the galette bakes.
2003 Donna Washburn and Heather Butt