- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 2 Times
Simpler than pie but with all the same homemade goodness, this galette makes excellent use of an abundance of summer fruits.
- Hazelnut Pastry
- 3 cups ( 750 mL) peeled, sliced peaches, about 5 medium
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced red or purple plums, about 4 large
- ¼ cup (50 mL) hazelnut flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grape or red currant jelly (see Notes)
- Large baking sheet, generously dusted with sweet rice flour
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
1. Place the chilled Hazelnut Pastry disk in the center of prepared pan. Cover with waxed paper and roll out to a 12-inch (30 cm) circle.
2. In a large bowl, lightly toss together peaches, plums, hazelnut flour, ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
3. Carefully remove the waxed paper. Place the fruit mixture on pastry to within 2 inches (5 cm) of the edge. Dot with butter and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Carefully fold the pastry up over the filling to form a ragged edge, leaving fruit exposed in the center. Sprinkle pastry with 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until fruit is tender and pastry is lightly browned. Brush with jelly.
Variation: Prepare the pastry with almond flour and sprinkle the prepared galette with sliced almonds. Almonds toast as the galette bakes.
The jelly spreads more evenly when microwaved on High for 20 seconds.
© 2003 Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings and does not include Hazelnut Pastry. For nutritional information on Hazelnut Pastry, please follow the link above.