- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 88 Times
Easy and filling, this is the perfect recipe when everyone’s hungry and you don’t have a lot of time to cook an elaborate meal. Add capers and accompany with a bowl of vegan Parmesan cheese alternative to serve company.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp/15 ml)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes, with juices (see Notes)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) pitted oil-cured black olives, halved (see Notes)
- ¼ cup (50 ml) chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried basil leaves
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp (2 ml) hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ to 1 tsp (2 to 5 ml) granulated natural cane sugar
- 8 oz (250 g) penne or other short pasta
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir in olives, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Taste and add sugar, a little at a time, as necessary, to smooth any bitterness. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
3. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until tender to the bite, or according to package instructions. Drain. Serve sauce over hot pasta.
For a heartier meal, slice 2 Italian-style soy sausages and add along with the wine.
Add 2 tbsp (25 ml) drained capers along with the sun-dried tomatoes.
Use canned tomatoes with or without seasoning, as you prefer.
Many varieties of black olives work well in this sauce. Try oil-cured, Moroccan or kalamata olives for best results.
© 2005 Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox