Party Poached Pompano
Pompano, one of the favorites of all seafood lovers, is accented here with sweet juicy crabmeat and brought to perfection with fresh citrus. All is cooled with fresh mint. Lovely.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Cooking for a date
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturebuttery, fruity, herby, sweet, tangy, tart, umami
- 4 pompano fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat, cartilage removed
- 1 large orange, peeled, segmented, seeds removed
- 1 sweet grapefruit, peeled, segmented, seeds removed
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- Chopped fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a baking dish.
Arrange the fillets in one layer in the baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Divide the crabmeat among the four fillets, arranging it on top of the fish. Then arrange a row of alternating orange and grapefruit segments on each fillet. Drizzle orange juice over each.
Blend the butter and bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the citrus segments.
Bake until the fillets are cooked through and the crumbs are crisp and golden, 15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh mint, and serve immediately.
1989 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins