- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 29 Times
A deliciously rich stew with a spicy sweetness from the paprika and caraway. Serve with noodles and a green vegetable such as cabbage, green beans, or broccoli.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound, 10 ounces chuck steak, brisket or round, cut into 1½-inch pieces (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon (back bacon), chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound onions, grated (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika, plus extra for garnish
- 2½ cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Ground black pepper
- 2/3-1 1/3 cups fat-free yogurt
1 Put the cornstarch and beef into a plastic Ziploc, seal the top, and shake well until all the beef pieces are lightly dusted.
2 Heat the sunflower oil in a heavy pot, add the bacon, garlic, onions, caraway, and paprika, and cook for 3 minutes.
3 Add the beef to the pot, followed by the stock and tomato paste. Season with black pepper. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook very gently for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced to a rich consistency.
4 Serve with a generous topping of yogurt sprinkled with paprika.
© Anthony Worrall Thompson
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per portion: 274 cal., 8g fat, 2.4g sat, fat, 0.38g sodium, 16g carbohydrate