If you're craving a comforting, old-fashioned chicken dish, this is it. Rendering the fat from the chicken skin gives the sauce its rich flavor.
· Chicken can be prepared, without the sour cream, 2 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, before chilling, covered.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationpeanut free, soy free
Taste and Textureherby, juicy, meaty, savory, spiced
- 8 chicken thighs with skin and bones (2 1/4 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 (14-oz) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour stirred together with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Egg noodles or rice (optional)
Pat chicken dry. Remove skin and reserve. Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot, then cook skin until it renders about 1/4 cup fat. Discard skin with a slotted spoon.
Cook onion with salt in fat in pot over moderately high heat, covered, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if necessary, until onion is very tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add paprika and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and broth, stirring vigorously to break up tomatoes. Add chicken and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is just cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Stir flour mixture and stir into sauce. Simmer, stirring, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, then season with salt and stir in 2 tablespoons sour cream. Serve, sprinkled with parsley, over noodles or rice, with additional sour cream on the side.
2004 Condast Publications