- Course: Hot Appetizer, Side Dish, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 25 Times
Rich and tangy hollandaise sauce and fresh asparagus is a time-honored partnership
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ridged grill pan
1. Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus spears. Brush a ridged grill pan with the oil and heat over medium-high heat until the pan is very hot. Cook the asparagus, turning once, for about 6 minutes, until the asparagus has grill marks and is just tender (thick spears may take longer, so reduce the temperature as needed so the asparagus cooks without charring).
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Boil the vinegar until reduced by half. Remove from the heat, and add 2 tbsp water. One at a time, whisk in the egg yolks.
3. Return the saucepan to a very low heat and whisk until the mixture is thick and pale. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the melted butter. Stir in the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide the asparagus between serving plates. Spoon the sauce over the asparagus, and serve at once.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox