Pan-Fried Quail with Fried Crumbs
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebuttery, savory
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs, made from stale bread
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 8 quail, split and cleaned
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, bruised
- ¼ pound butter, clarified
- 2 tablespoons gin
In a medium skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the bread crumbs and the seasonings and sauté, tossing until golden brown. Serve with the Quail.
Lightly rub the quail with salt and pepper and the bruised juniper berries. In a large heavy skillet, warm the butter over moderately high heat. Add the birds, skin side down, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Turn the birds and cook another 5 minutes, or longer, until pink and juicy.
Sprinkle with the gin and ignite, shaking the pan until the flames subside. Serve at once.