- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 43 Times
- 6 boneless chicken breasts or thighs, preferably free-range or organic, skin on, each quartered
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Olive oil
- 4 ounces chorizo, sliced
- 6 slices pancetta or bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 quarts hot chicken stock, preferably organic
- 2 large pinches of saffron
- 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound paella rice or medium grain rice
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped, stalks chopped
- 2 handfuls peas, fresh or frozen
- 10 jumbo shrimp
- Optional: 1 pound mussels, scrubbed
- Optional: 2 small squid, halved and scored
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Season the chicken pieces and dust with flour. Heat a little olive oil in a large deep pan and fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Place the pieces on a baking tray and into the oven for 30 minutes.
Put the pan back on the heat. Add the sliced chorizo and pancetta or bacon and fry until browned and crispy. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Meanwhile infuse half the hot chicken stock with the saffron. Add the smoked paprika, rice, and infused stock and leave to cook on a medium heat, stirring from time to time.
After 20 minutes the rice should be nearly cooked. At this point, pour in the rest of the stock along with the peas, shrimp, and the mussels and squid if you are using them. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes more.
Finally, add the cooked chicken and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and a wedge of lemon.
© 2013 Jamie Oliver
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, using six 6 oz boneless chicken breasts. Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, but does not include optional mussels or squid.