- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 16 Times
I adore the rustic look and flavor of these onions roasted right in their skins. Serve alongside grilled meats or on a platter with assorted cheeses and hard sausages.
- 6 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, unpeeled
- ¼ cup fruity olive oil
- Kosher (coarse) salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Rub the skins of the onions generously with the olive oil. Place them in a heatproof roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the onions until soft and tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
3. Cut the onions in half through the root ends and arrange cut sides up on a serving platter. Add the vinegar and orange juice and zest to the drippings in the roasting pan. Place the pan over medium-high heat and cook the liquid until reduced to a glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the roasted onions. Serve the onions at room temperature.
© 1990 Sarah Leah Chase
This recipe serves 6. Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox