- Course: Hors D'oeuvre, Tapas/Small Plates
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 29 Times
- 12 small plum (Roma) tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Balsamic vinegar
- 24 fresh basil leaves or dried basil
- 24 croutons or French bread slices, about 2½ inches in diameter
1. Position the oven racks so that the top rack is in the center of the oven or, if you are tripling the recipe, position the oven racks so they are evenly spaced, with the second rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to convection bake at 250°F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut each tomato in half lengthwise and place the halves on the prepared baking sheet, cut sides up. Sprinkle them with the salt.
3. Place the tomatoes in the oven and dry for 2½ to 3 hours or until the tomatoes are shriveled around the edges but still juicy.
4. Top each tomato with a small slice of mozzarella, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and top with a basil leaf, if available, or a light sprinkling of dried basil. Serve on top of a crouton or a slice of crusty French bread.
© 2005 Beatrice Ojakangas
This recipe serves 24.