- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 10 Times
Serve this meaty veal shank classic with saffron rice into which you have thrown a handful of peas. Don’t forget to savor the bone marrow; it’s delicious.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning and to taste
- 16 sections of veal shank (10 to 12 pounds total), 2 inches thick
- ½ cup best-quality olive oil
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 28 ounces canned Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- ¾ cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
1. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the pieces of veal shank well. Heat the oil and butter together in a large casserole or Dutch oven over medium-low heat and sear the veal, browning well on all sides. Transfer the veal to paper towels to drain.
2. Add the onions, garlic, basil, and oregano to the casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for another 10 minutes. Skim the excess fat.
4. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Return the veal shanks to the casserole and add the beef stock just to cover. Cover the casserole and bake for 1½ hours. Remove the lid and bake, uncovered, until the veal is very tender, another 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and grated lemon zest and serve immediately.
© 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 2007 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, 1/8 teaspoon of adding salt per serving, and using 10lbs of veal shank.
Nutritional information does not include Beef Stock. For nutritional information on Beef Stock, please follow the link above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox