- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
These are great kabobs for the barbecue or broiler. Tofu is fermented soybean curd, which not only contains protein but is also full of beneficial phytoestrogens. Serve with brown rice.
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh unsweetened orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped chile
- 1 head bok choy
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained and cut in l-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 20 shiitake or button mushrooms
- 1 red onion, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 30 minutes
1 Prepare the marinade by combining the first eight ingredients.
2 Separate the bok choy leaves and cut the stems into 1-inch sections. Marinate with the tofu, mushrooms, and onion for up to 1 hour, depending upon how strong a flavor you want.
3 Thread the ingredients (you’ll need to roll the bok choy leaves)onto four large (or twelve small) thick wooden skewers, and cook on a barbecue or under a broiler for 7-10 minutes, basting with the marinade and turning regularly.
© Anthony Worrall Thompson
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per portion: 242 cal., 8g fat, 1.0g sat, fat, 0.02g sodium, 28g carbohydrate