- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 2 Times
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated orange zest
- ½ cup (125 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- ¼ cup (50 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) instant coffee mix powder or hot chocolate mix
- ¼ cup (50 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8-inch square (2 L) baking dish, sprayed with vegetable spray
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar and baking powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, oil, egg and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, blending just until mixed. Batter will be thick. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
2. In a bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups (300 mL) hot water, sugar, coffee mix and cocoa. Pour carefully over cake batter. Bake 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Serve warm; spoon cake and underlying sauce into individual dessert dishes.
Use a flavored coffee mix powder, like Irish cream or vanilla, or a cappuccino mix.
Pudding cakes are fantastic because they give you the added bonus of a low-fat sauce.
Make ahead: Best served right out of the oven, but can be reheated in microwave for similar texture.
© 2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox