- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 3 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Similar to the classic lemon tart, the rosemary adds a delicate scented flavor to the orange.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Pulse the flour, butter, confectioner's sugar, and rosemary in a food processor until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Mix the egg and 2 tbsp water. Add to the bowl and pulse until the dough comes together, adding more water if needed. Gather into a thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a round about 1/8 in (3mm) thick. Line an 8in (20cm) tart pan with the dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Line the dough with wax paper and fill with beans. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
4. Meanwhile, make the filling. Bring the orange juice and rosemary to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until reduced to 1 cup. Strain into a bowl, discarding the rosemary, and let cool.
5. Add the sugar, eggs, cream, and orange zest and whisk until combined. Pour into the pastry shell. Bake for 35 minutes, or just until the filling is set. Let cool, remove the sides of the pan, and serve.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.