A sweet and tangy accompaniment that complements most roasted or grilled dishes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lb (900g) onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1½ tbsp creme de cassis (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
Prepare ahead: The confit can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
2. Add the sugar, vinegar, crème de cassis, if using, and salt, and stir well, and simmer uncovered for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally so the confit does not scorch. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.