This is a great alternative to store-bought or fast-food chicken nuggets. It is tasty and easy to make. Brewer’s (nutritional) yeast is high in vitamins B-12 and fiber and adds dimension. I’ve made these a few times for my daughter’s class and have had rave reviews from the 5th graders.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course, snack
Dietary Considerationmain course, snack
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Mealdinner, kid snack
Taste and Texturecrisp, meaty, savory
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I like panko, Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 4 tablespoons brewer’s (nutritional) yeast
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt & fresh pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 4 half chicken breasts or two whole breasts
Heat oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees.
Mix bread crumbs, garlic, yeast, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl (add Parmesan if using).
Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a kitchen mallet or heavy pan until ¼ inch thick.
Cut chicken into two-inch strips (if the chicken is thick, pound it out a bit more).
Coat chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook for 10 minutes.
Serve with creamy dill dipping sauce or sweet and spicy mustard.
2007 Domenica Catelli