- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 2 Times
By baking the chicken instead of deep-frying it and by using buttermilk and spices to bolster the flavor, we create a tasty, delectably crisp chicken that won’t jeopardize your health.
- 1 3½- to 4-pound chicken
For the Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
For the Breading:
- 1 cup bread crumbs, preferably homemade
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- Spray oil
1. Cut the chicken into eight even pieces or have your butcher do it. (When I cut off the wings, I include a 2-inch piece of the breast meat. This gives you a meatier wing.) Remove all the skin from the chicken and cut away any pieces of fat.
2. Combine the Cajun spice, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a shallow bowl and stir to mix. Rub one third of this spice mix on the chicken pieces and let stand for 10 minutes in a metal mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk and place the bowl in the freezer. Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Combine the ingredients for the breading and the remaining spice mix in a mixing bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with spray oil. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Drain the chicken pieces in a colander. Dredge each piece of chicken in the crumb mixture, shaking off the excess. Arrange the chicken pieces on the baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly spray the tops of the chicken pieces with oil.
5. Bake the chicken until golden brown and cooked, 30 to 40 minutes, turning several times to ensure even browning. Serve at once. Mashed potatoes will make a great accompaniment.
By using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, you could reduce the calories to 444 per serving, the fat to 7 grams, and the saturated fat to 2 grams.
© 2003, 2010 Steven Raichlen
667 Calories; 69g Protein; 18g Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 53g Carbohydrate; 488mg Sodium; 184mg Cholesterol