- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 26 Times
To this basic Slavic recipe, you can add sautéed onions and bacon; ½ ounce reconstituted dried wild mushrooms, sautéed in butter; ½ cup crumbled feta cheese; or 1 small tart apple, peeled and diced. These ingredients should be added with the sour cream in Step 2.
- 2 pounds new potatoes, the smallest available
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
1. Parboil the potatoes in salted boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. Transfer the potatoes to a heavy heatproof casserole. Add the broth, sour cream, and salt and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, uncovering to stir occasionally, until the potatoes are very tender. Five minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking, stir in the garlic.
3. Toss with the dill and serve.
© 1990 Anya von Bremzan and John Welchman
Nutritional information is based on using chicken stock and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox