- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 10 Times
Named for the city on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada, these no-bake squares are family favorites in our households.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) hazelnut flour (see Variations)
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- ¼ cup (50 mL) GF custard powder (optional) (see Notes)
- 2 cups ( 500 mL) GF sifted confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) shortening
- 1 to 2 oz (30 to 60 g) semi-sweet chocolate, cut into 6 pieces
- 9-inch (2.5 L) square pan, lightly greased
1. Base: In a large bowl, blend together melted butter, egg and vanilla. Add cocoa, sugar, hazelnut flour, coconut and walnuts. Stir until combined. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Chill completely.
2. Filling: In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter. Slowly add milk, custard powder, if using, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix until combined. Spread over base and chill.
3. Glaze: In a small bowl, microwave shortening and chocolate on Medium for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle in ribbons over chilled filling. Refrigerate before cutting into squares.
Substitute gluten-free white cake crumbs, almond flour or pecan flour for hazelnut flour.
For a more traditional thick glaze, melt together 3 to 4 oz (90 to 120 g) semisweet chocolate and 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter. Substitute an equal amount of instant vanilla pudding mix for custard powder.
A 1-oz (30 g) envelope of custard powder contains ¼ cup (50 mL).
One individually wrapped square of baking chocolate equals 1 oz (30 g).
© 2003 Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
Serving size is 1 bar. Nutritional information does not include optional custard powder.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox