- 4 quarts water
- ½ cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 tomato, cored
- 1 medium fennel bulb, root trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 2 ribs celery, halved
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and halved
1. Place all the ingredients in a large pot, 12 inches in diameter. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat slightly and simmer for 3½ hours.
2. Remove from the heat and let stand until cool. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.