- 3 pounds chicken parts, such as necks, backs, and carcasses (cut into smaller pieces)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 leek or leek trimmings, optional
- Bouquet Garni (p. 145) made with parsley stems, bay leaf, thyme, and/or tarragon sprigs
- 4-5 whole cloves
- ¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, optional
- Pinch of salt
Rinse the chicken pieces with cold water. Place them in a pot just large enough to hold the pieces comfortably, and cover with water by about 1 inch (about 2 quarts).
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and skim the scum off the surface.
Add all the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Lower the heat; simmer gently for about 1 hour.
Turn off the heat and let steep for about 5 minutes, then strain.
If using the stock immediately, skim off the fat.
If not, let the stock cool, then refrigerate it with the fat on top. Skim off the solidified fat before using.
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.