- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 7 Times
Boneless chicken chunks infused with complex flavors are a hit with young and old. Mustard oil adds that extra special touch.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) skinless boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ginger paste (see Notes)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) garlic paste (see Notes)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot mustard, preferably English mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt or to taste
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chickpea flour (besan)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) pure mustard oil (see Notes)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) thick plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced green chiles, preferably serranos
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) cayenne pepper
- Oil for oiling grill
- Metal skewers or 20 long bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry thoroughly. Cut into 1½-inch (4 cm) pieces.
2. In a bowl, mix together lime juice, ginger, garlic, mustard and salt. Add chicken and toss to coat.
3. In another bowl, mix together chickpea flour, mustard oil, yogurt, chiles and cayenne into a paste. Coat chicken evenly with mixture. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour in refrigerator, preferably 3 to 4 hours.
4. Preheat charcoal grill, barbecue or indoor grill to medium heat.
5. Thread chicken pieces onto metal skewers, 3 to 4 per skewer. Insert a second skewer parallel to the first, about ½ inch (1 cm) apart. Cook on well-oiled charcoal grill or indoor grill, turning once and basting with additional oil or mustard oil, until pieces are no longer pink inside and are slightly charred outside, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Ginger and garlic pastes are available in jars in Indian and Asian markets. Making your own is a simple matter of grating peeled gingerroot or garlic cloves on a Microplane grater.
Pure mustard oil is available at Indian grocery stores. Although the bottle will probably advise against culinary use, it is perfectly safe to use provided it is heated to the smoking point. Do not use unheated, as in a vinaigrette.
If using an indoor contact grill, the cooking time will be shorter.
© 2007 Suneeta Vaswani
Nutritional information includes 1 tablespoon of oil for oiling the grill.