- 1½ tablespoons corn oil
- 3 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15 white peppercorns
- 1 sprig fresh Italian parsley
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed, beards pulled off
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, peppercorns, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf and Sauté until the shallots and garlic are softened but not browned, about 1½ minutes.
2. Stir in the wine. Add the mussels, cover the pot, and cook, stirring once or twice, until all the mussels are open, 2 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a colander.
3. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Pick the mussels from their shells and save for another use.
Nutritional information is based on 3 servings.