- Course: Side Dish, Tapas/Small Plates
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 40 Times
Make the most of seasonal mushrooms with this filling side dish
- 1 lb (450g) mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, stemmed Shiitake, white, and oyster
- 5 oz (140g) sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½ cups creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
1. Place the mushrooms in a colander and rinse quickly under cold running water to clean them. Cut large mushrooms in halves or quarters.
2. In a large frying pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes, until browned. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes until browned. Add the wine and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the créme fraîche and reserved bacon. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 tbsp water. Stir into the sauce and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in the tarragon.
Good with steak or pork chops. It can also be tossed with pasta.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.