- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Hot Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 51 Times
A quick winter appetizer
- 12 slices rustic bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb (450g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry Marsala
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Brush the bread slices with the oil. Place on baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp.
2. Melt the butter in a pan. Cook the mushrooms, stirring often, around 5 minutes, until wilted. Add the shallots and garlic and cook about 3 minutes more. Add the Marsala, and boil about 5 minutes until the wine is reduced to a glaze.
3. Add the cream, and boil for 3 minutes, until reduced. Season with salt and pepper and add the Parmesan and parsley. Spoon the mixture over the toasts to serve.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings and 3/4 teaspoon added salt.