Piled high with cinnamon-spiced apples, this is the quintessential American dessert. Serve this pie with a scoop of vegan ice cream on the side, if desired.
- 8 or 9 McIntosh, or other red baking apple, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices (about 8 cups)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1¼ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch salt
- Fast-and-Easy Pie Crust (recipe follows) or 2 store-bought crusts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold vegan margarine, diced
- ½ cup cold vegan shortening, diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons cold water
To Make the Crust:
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to mix. Add the diced margarine and shortening. Pulse to mix until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the vinegar and water through the feeder tube and pulse until the mixture is combined and forms a ball. Divide in half and pat each half into a flat disk. Wrap the disks in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour before using.
To Make the Pie:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place an oven rack on the lowest level in the oven.
2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to coat the apples, then set aside.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pie dough to a 13 to 14-inch round, less than ¼-inch thick. Add flour to the work surface and dough as needed. Gently transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing it to fill the pan, allowing the excess to hang over the sides. Transfer the apple mixture to the pie plate.
4. Roll out the remaining pie dough and gently arrange it over the apples. Cut any overhanging dough that exceeds 1-inch. Use your fingers to seal the dough, rolling the dough from the bottom crust up and onto the top crust to form a rim around the pie. Crimp the edge with your fingers. Cut 4 or 5 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
5. Place the pie on a pie ring or baking sheet to catch the drips. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until the filling bubbles. Cool slightly before cutting.