Gone here are the fat-laden oil and anchovies associated with traditional Caesar recipes, along with the increasingly suspect raw egg. In this version, tart Belgian endive lends a refreshingly pungent accent, while the tomatoes add an unexpected burst of color.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped Belgian endive (4 heads)
- 6 cups torn Romaine lettuce (2 heads)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/3 cups chopped tomato (1 large tomato)
Put the garlic, soy sauce, and lemon juice in a salad bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add the endive and Romaine lettuce. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the black pepper and Parmesan cheese on top.
Garnish with the chopped tomato.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Fat per serving = 1.2 grams
Calories per serving = 80