- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 3 Times
This is a Japanese vegetarian soup, elegant and surprisingly robust.
- 4 cups (1l) Konbu Dashi
- 2 tablespoons dark soybean miso
- 3 ounces (1 1/3 cups; 90 g) broccoli di rape, yellow and wilted leaves discarded, tops and leaves only, tops left whole, leaves cut across in ½-inch (1-cm) strips
- Two 2-ounce (60-g) pieces firm silken tofu, each piece cut across in half
- 2 scant tablespoons hair-thin strips of lemon zest, for serving
In a small saucepan, heat 3 cups (750 ml) dashi just to a simmer. In a small bowl, dissolve the miso in 1 to 2 tablespoons of the hot dashi and return to the pan.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining dashi to a boil. Stir in the broccoli di rape. Bring to a simmer and cook until the rape turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tofu and simmer for 1 minute. Turn the tofu pieces over and simmer for 1 minute.
Stir in the miso broth. Heat until little bubbles form around the sides.
Divide the vegetables and broth evenly among four small bowls. Top each bowl with a few pieces of the lemon zest.
© 1998 Barbara Kafka
Nutritional information does not include Konbu Dashi recipe. For nutritional information on Konbu Dashi recipe, please follow the link above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox