If you're lucky enough to have an Asian market nearby, the endless choices of miso can be a bit intimidating, especially if the labels are only in Japanese. White miso, with its pale mustard color, is very mild and well suited for this dressing. Red and brown misos are darker and more flavorful, but they are just fine too. All health food stores and many supermarkets now carry miso. Serve this silky dressing with any type of salad green, avocados, melon, tomatoes, tofu, chilled seafood, and poached or grilled fish or chicken.
- 3 tablespoons white (shiro) miso
- 1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ cup grapeseed or other mild-flavored vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a food processor, combine the miso, ginger, vinegar, lemon juice, and mayonnaise and process until smooth. While the machine is running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream and process until creamy and smooth.
2. Season with salt and pepper. Will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.