- ½ cup fine-quality olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped whole leeks
- ¼ cup minced Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup fresh fava beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 cups canned imported San Marzano Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 cups cooked cannellini or kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. When hot, stir in onions, leeks, parsley, and thyme. Lower heat and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
2. Add the remaining vegetables—potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, fava beans, and peas— one at a time, sautéing each for about 3 minutes. When all the vegetables are sautéed, stir in tomatoes, broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until soup is quite thick.
3. Add cooked beans, mashing some against the side of the stockpot with the back of a spoon as you stir them in. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Serve sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, using 1 cup of Cannellini Beans, and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.